Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Book Review: Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

The beautiful cover of this book made my DD pick this one up. The alluring title made me start reading it. Once I started I found I couldn't put it down.

It is the story of 17 year old Kelley Winston who is just starting out on her own in New York City.
She finds a job working at a theatre that is preparing to stage "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
Kelly finds herself in the role of Titania after a mishap with one
of the actresses. Shakespeare's play is the perfect backdrop to the Faerie magic that begins happening to Kelley.

Livingston uses Central Park as a portal to the Faerie World. She weaves an enchanting tale between the mortal world and the wonders of the"Otherworld". Sonny Flannery is the mysterious Gatekeeper, or Janus who guards us from all forms of dark magic. His character is very interesting and layered. The settings are realistic and beautifully painted. The fantasy makes this a fun read.


Recommended for grades 7-10

1 comment:

  1. Fairies, Magic ummmm! Sounds like a book I would love. Thanks for the heads up.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete