Friday, February 6, 2009

Planthropology by Ken Druse

Non Fiction Friday: Book Review

Planthropology
The Myths, Mysteries, and Miracles of My Garden Favorites

by Ken Druse

I'm going to try and control my enthusiasm for this book. I checked this out of the library looking for a little spirit lifter. This fascinating book was so much more. Druse's love for horticulture comes bursting through with his beautiful photographs.



This isn't the type of garden book you'll thumb through and then go onto something else. You will enjoy reading each chapter . In the intro Druse says " There are so many things calling us away from the garden , which is paradoxically the one place that offers a truly restorative, peaceful retreat." The book is divided in to four parts: Discovery, Attractions, Elegant Design and Growing Forward. Intermingled among the chapters are project pages , tips on pruning hydrangeas, etc.

My favorite section is the one on irises, as well as the extensive information on a glorious collection of trees. I also enjoyed Druse's story about his hunt for the snowball bush he remembered at his grandma's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment