Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy 200th Birthday Mr. Lincoln

Lincoln
The Biography of a Writer
by Fred Kaplan

When I visited Lincoln's home in Springfield, Illinois a couple years ago I started reading Lincoln biographies. I wanted to know how a man ,from such humble beginnings, taught himself to become one of the greatest speech writer in American history.



Among the thousands and thousands of such biographies, a new one emerges that examines Lincoln's writing in the perfect way- through what he read.

I have to admit that I had a hard time getting through this book only because I am such a simpleton. Professor Kaplan's writing is painstakingly thorough and deep. Nonetheless I enjoyed it tremendously. It is a fascinating journey through the life of a self taught writer.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Lincoln.

2 comments:

  1. Hi AMY! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I also loved my Valentine. :) Further, I am really loving your blog - the title is fantastic. I am an elementary school teacher, so all of these books make me absurdly happy. Have a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I love reading books about Lincoln, too, and I've never heard of this one! Thanks so much for mentioning it!

    Have you read "Lincoln's Melancholy?" It's excellent. And I'm actually reading a book right now about the Lincolns' marriage.

    ReplyDelete