Monday, February 23, 2009

For Muriel

I went to the used book sale at my library Saturday and came home with some real treasures. I was looking for some vintage looking little books to put on my little knick knack shelf in my dining room. I saw this set of Macmillan Pocket Classics and thought they were the perfect size. I didn't look inside them until I got home. Each little book was inscribed with:

Muriel Hibbets
Ferguson High School
class of '15

in that beautiful handwritten script of old . Then Muriel wrote what year she was in high school. Some say sophomore, some say junior, etc.









She wrote detailed notes on the end pages and made notations throughout the volumes. These books were read, studied and well loved by Muriel Hibbets. Now I will love them just as much.

My eighth grader is in the class of 2013. She will graduate high school 100 years after Muriel. It's so interesting to compare what she reads and studies in comparison. I'll have some more children's books I picked up at the sale later in the week.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those are lovely! They look great on the shelf, too. What's in the "Golden Treasury?" Some of those titles are a little arcane--Sir Roger de Coverley? I've heard the name, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete