Friday, January 2, 2009

Non-Fiction Friday


Storm Run
The Story of The First Woman To Win The Iditarod Sled Dog Race
by Libby Riddles
illustrated by Shannon Cartwright
ages 6-10
While watching the Rose Bowl Parade yesterday I saw a float featuring a woman sled dog musher. I remembered I had recently got a book about Libby Riddles, the first woman to win the Iditarod Sled Dog Race.I brought it out again to reread it. As the mother of 4 girls I love books about strong woman and I always try to have them around for inspiration.
Storm Run is filled with beautiful illustraions of the Alaskan wilderness as well as great photos.
It tells the story of Libby's childhood, her journey to Alaska, how she fell in love with sled dogs, and her years of training before the race in 1985. Libby recounts the fascinating story of the 1,000 mile race including driving through blinding snowstorms, accidently getting turned around and following her own tracks, and how her lead dog found the right trail marker despite being asked to go another way.
I love learning just how Libby dealt with the fridgid conditions. As for me...I'm still a wimp about having to run out to start the car. Pick this one up you'll enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment