Monday, January 5, 2009

Another treasure from Blue Balliet

The Calder Game
by Blue Balliet

illustrated by Brett Helquist



So I was walking through the library the other day when this red book jacket caught my eye. I went to have a closer look and read the title... The Calder Game by Blue Balliett
The Hallelujah Choir Started playing and I gasped an audible gasp. Could it be the author of Chasing Vermeer and The Wright 3 had come out with a new title in the series and I knew nothing about it?Yes! What a happy surprise.I checked it out, eager to have a great book to read during the last dreary days of winter break.

Balliet did not disappoint with her third installment about three kids from Hyde Park caught in another art mystery.
Every middle school kid should read this book. The main characters are so rich and real. I love the fact that they are all from different multi-ethnic families. The three know each other's strengths and weaknesses and deal with it.

I love the history lesson about England(bonus). Of course learning all the info about the artist Alexander Calder is one of the best things about the book too. The mystery the three find themselves in is a real page turner, and you won't be able to put it down until the last delicious page! Helquist's clue filled illustrations are another reason any kid (or adult ahem) will love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment